Perrysburgh, named after Commodore O.H. Perry, was formed from Olean and Ischua, April 13, 1814, as Perry. Its name was changed April 10, 1818. Little Valley was taken off in 1818, Otto in 1823, and Dayton and Persia in 1835. Part of Otto was annexed in 1823. It is the N.W corner town in the county. Its surface is a hilly and broken upland. Cattaraugus Creek forms the north border. The streams are small branches of Cattaragaugus and Silver Creeks.
Perrysburgh, south of the center, contains (in 1863) a church and 23 dwellings. It is a station on the N.Y. & E.R.R.
Versailles , on Cattaraugus Creek, in the northeast part, contains a church, 2 flouring mills, and a tannery. Its population was 274 in 1863. The rapid descent of the creek at this point affords extensive waterpower.
The first settlement was made in 1815, by John Clark. Other early settlers included: Edward Russell, Phineas Spencer, Hugh Campbell, Ralph Griswold, William Cooper, John Sprague. and Simon Waterman, who came in 1816. Elisha Ward, Stephen Crocker, and Freeman Edwards located near Perrysburgh Village in 1817.
The first school was taught by Olive Barto, in the summer of 1819. Benjamin Waterman kept the first inn, in 1816, and Cobb, Cook & Pelton kept the first store in the village, in 1827.
The first sawmill was erected on Silver Creek, by Isaac Balcomb, and the first gristmill, at Versailles, about 1820.