Learn lots more about Franklinville by
following these links !
Death Records 1860-1894
Pardon T Jewell
Delos E Lyon
Searl and Storrs
Park Square and Fairs
Hotels and Inns
Brown Eagle Hotel
Businesses and Industry
West Park Square Drug Store
Churches and Buildings
The Miners Cabin
In the Public Trust
Mt Prospect Cemetery
This information came from the files of Joie Wilson, formerly the Franklinville Town
Historian and the section editor for Franklinville on the Cattaraugus County website.
If you have information about Franklinville, or have a question,
contact Joie at ChasandJoie@webtv.net
Thanks, Joie !!
You are our visitor since January 29, 1999--
Return to Franklinville page
Shortly thereafter Solomon Curtis
built his log cabin near Joseph
and Betsy's. Its location today would be considered to be right across
the street, for it was built on what we now designate as the northwest
corner of Elm and Church Streets.
The primary interest of Solomon Curtis
was hunting and trapping;
farming came second. However, both were necessary occupations for
survival. Marauding animals, particularly wolves, struck terror into the
hearts of both people and dometic animals. A bounty was established
which paid $60 for the scalp of a wolf. This provided him with cash from
time to time, something that was rather hard to come by at the time.
Solomon Curtis only stayed until 1825. Then he sold out
on to Erie County. However, he left four sons and eventually, three
grandsons behind. We will hear more about them later. In April of 1806
David McCluer, a cousin of Joseph's, came from Vermont with his wife,
choosing to settle here also.
At the end of that same month David's wife gave
birth to Hiram Warner McClure,
the first Caucasian child born in what would come to be known as Cattaraugus County.
He grew to be a mighty hunter; in fact, he would eventually celebrate his 70th birthday
by killing four wild deer within two minutes in the wilds of northern Pennsylvania.
But all that still lay in the future as he lay in his Mother's arms.
Also in 1806 Moses Warner, his wife, and his four sturdy sons arrived
He was a cooper, and his son Moses, Jr. also became a cooper.
His other sons, Parley, John and Roswell became farmers.
In 1811 John married Naomi Hollister, the first marriage to occur in the
which really had no name but was sometimes called McClure's Settlement.
The wife of Moses, Sr. became known to one and all
throughout the area as Mother Warner.
She exhibited no fear as she walked resolutely through woods and up and down steep trails,
day or night, to tend the sick. The Warners were an altogether sturdy family!
By 1807 Thomas Morris had come from
New Jersey to join the small band of settlers.
He erected a dwelling ... and he opened the first store.
About the same time Henry Conrad
arrived from Tompkins County and over the course of the next year he built the first
mill. It was not, perhaps, the most efficient mill ever built, but it served the
purpose until others came and built other mills.