Learn lots more about Franklinville by
following these links !
Death Records 1860-1894
Pardon T Jewell
Delos E Lyon
Searl and Storrs
Park Square and Fairs
Hotels and Inns
Brown Eagle Hotel
Businesses and Industry
West Park Square Drug Store
Churches and Buildings
The Miners Cabin
In the Public Trust
Mt Prospect Cemetery
This information came from the files of Joie Wilson, formerly the Franklinville Town
Historian and the section editor for Franklinville on the Cattaraugus County website.
If you have information about Franklinville, or have a question,
contact Joie at ChasandJoie@webtv.net
Thanks, Joie !!
You are our visitor since January 29, 1999--
Return to Franklinville page
Until 1876 there was no organized company to fight a fire in
Franklinville nor any real equipment beyond a bucket brigade dedicated
to that purpose.
In June of 1876 the first company was
organized. Their "engine"
was an 80 gallon Babcock Chemical engine which had cost $700. They
called themselves the Eagle Chemical Company #1.
The second company, organized in 1879, called itself The Alert Hook
& Ladder. They added a social dimension to their company by outfitting
rooms for a clubhouse over the Ferris & Ferris drugstore. By 1891 they
even had a piano!!
Union Fire Company organized itself in 1882, later changing its
name to Union Hose Company. This eventually spun off to the R. S.
Litchfield Hose Company in 1893.
Fire fighting equipment by then was being kept in the basement of
In 1905 a new village hall and fire hall was built at the
northernmost end of west Park Square. Costing $3,000, it was, and is, a
two story red brick building. It not only housed the fire equipment on
the first floor, the rear of the building was used as the jail. Upstairs
were the firemen's club rooms and a dance hall.
The roof had a tower for drying fire hose. The fire bell, weighing
800 pounds and purchased in 1887 was also installed up there. It was
only used for three years before the village approved the use of the
fire whistle system and gong which the Franklinville Telephone Company
The Fire Hall would remain in use for sixty one years, until
finally both the Fire Hall and the lockup were deemed to be inadequate,
and a movement began which would result eventually in the construction
of the new Municipal Building on North Main Street.