Learn lots more about Franklinville by
following these links !
Death Records 1860-1894
Pardon T Jewell
Delos E Lyon
Searl and Storrs
Park Square and Fairs
Hotels and Inns
Brown Eagle Hotel
Businesses and Industry
West Park Square Drug Store
Churches and Buildings
The Miners Cabin
In the Public Trust
Mt Prospect Cemetery
This information came from the files of Joie Wilson, formerly the Franklinville Town
Historian and the section editor for Franklinville on the Cattaraugus County website.
If you have information about Franklinville, or have a question,
contact Joie at ChasandJoie@webtv.net
Thanks, Joie !!
You are our visitor since January 29, 1999--
Return to Franklinville page
In 1806 there came the first doctor to practice in McClure's
Settlement. His name was John McClure and, yes, he was a relative of
Joseph McClure. John McClure was responsible for at least two other
firsts in the settlement. He built the first frame house; and, when he
died in 1811, five years after his arrival, his was the first death in
the settlement. At that point in the development of this area, people
generally prepared bodies for burial and buried them in family plots on
their own property. As the years went by, and cemeteries were
developed, in most, but not all, cases the bodies were moved to a
Several more doctors came and went during the early years. Some
doctors came and stayed. Charles McLouth was one of those. He came here in 1818 from
Cheshire, Massachusetts and practiced medicine until he
died on July 26, 1870 ..... and then his son, Charles D. McLouth
continued the practice his father had begun.
We do not know where the first Dr. McLouth got his medical
education, but we do know that Dr. Charles D. McLouth got his medical training almost
exclusively from his father. The only additional training he received came from his
attendance at several medical lectures at the Geneva Medical College.
The second Dr. McLouth had one son, Lawrence. Lawrence married and
had two sons, Earl and Charles. We will hear more about Earl later when we
review the history of drug stores.
In 1830 Dr. Lewis Riggs, a recent graduate of Yale, began the
practice of medicine here. Dr. Riggs and his wife, Eliza Ann, would have
ten children and a long and considerable influence on the future of
A man named Robert Bard also came in 1830. He was destined to be
the second owner of the then Globe Hotel. While he was a most respected
citizen, it would be his daughter and her second husband who would leave
the most lasting memorial to the Village of Franklinville.
Maryette Bard was born in the Globe Hotel on July 21, 1831. She
called the hotel home for the first years of her life. Then, in 1846,
her father sold it to Matthew McGeorge. The Bards moved from the hotel
into a house which then stood on Pine Street, where today stands The
Miner's Cabin, home of The Ischua Valley Historical Society, about
which you will hear more later.
Ten years into her first marriage, which occurred in 1855, Maryette
Bard was widowed. In 1869, four years after the death of her first
husband, Maryette married Robert F. Woodworth. Two years later he
purchased the Globe Hotel, and the Woodworths moved in. Maryette Bard
Woodworth had come full circle. The Woodworths would reside in the
Globe Hotel until his death in 1893.