Rotate your device to the Horizontal for best display

TOWN OF Conewango

Birds Eye View of Valley
Birds Eye View of Valley

Town of Conewango - 1823

This is the third from the south of the western tier of towns in the county, and is township 3, in range 9, of the Holland Company survey. It derived its name form the principal stream, which is said to be an Indian term signifying "walking slowly". As originally erected from Little Valley, Jan 20, 1823, the town embraced the four lower townships in range 9, but was reduced to its present limits--22,846 acres--by the foundation of Randolph on its south, Feb 21, 1826, and Leon on its north, April 24, 1832. It now lies in the form of a square, containing 64 equal lots of land, whose surface isvaried from a flat along the Conewango to hilly uplands in the north and the east

Town of Conewango Officials
Town Historian Town Clerk
Vacant Karen M. Belt
4762 Route 241,
Conewango Valley, New York 14726
Hours: Mon. & Thurs. 1-4 PM, Wed. 10am-2 pm & 5-7pm
(B) 358-9577 Ext. 2 (Fax) 358-2011
(H) 358-9466 (C} 796-4876
Source: Cattaraugus County Directory, dated April 1, 2023

Surnames from Conewango

Contributed by Thanks to Artie Nichols for her continuing contribution to the Cattaraugus County nygenweb site. She transcribed much of the information you see here. A big thank you also to Liz Burdick who provided much of the information for transcription!!

Conewango Cemeteries
Cemeteries from 1978 data
Rutledge Rural Cemetery Co Rd 40 off 241  Rutledge Rural Cemetery Corp
Clear Creek Cemetery  Rt. 62 between Conewango Valley 
& Clear Creek, Conewango 
Axeville Cemetery County Highway, Town of Conewango  unknown 
West Amish Cemetery
Youngs Rd near Rt 62

Town Cemeteries History

It is said that a child of Robert McGlashen was the first to die in town. In 1821 the wife of John Farlee departed this life, being the first adult to die. In 1822, the second adult, a Mrs. Crumb, died, and was the first person interred in the Rutledge Cemetery. There is now growing upon her grave a black cherry tree, nearly two feet in diameter.

The first ground for this cemetery was donated by Sampson Crooker, but it has since been enlarged by purchases. It is well fenced and tolerably well kept, and is controlled by a board of trustees, at present composed of S.B. Ellsworth, James Hollister, Daniel Fuller, Garrett Myers, Harris Aldrich, George E. Seager, A. S. Lamper, and Norman Cowen. The people of the southern part of the town inter in the Randolph cemeteries, and th@ose in the eastern part in Napoli burial grounds.

Much of the information for this page was taken from the
History of Cattaraugus Co. New York With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers
by L. H. Everts, J. B. Lippincott and Co, Philadelphia, 1879.
This information was provided by Liz Burdick, and transcribed by Artie Nichols.
We appreciate their contributions to this site!