Connewango Manufacturing Interests
a saw mill was built on Mill Creek, by Sampson Crooker and Robert McGlashen, in 1820; and a saw and grist mill on the same stream by Lewis Grover; a grist mill on Spring Creek, in 1822, by Calvin Treat; a saw mill on Elm Creek, in 1823 by Samuel Farlee and Rufus Wyllys. A grist mill was built in 1827 by Samuel Farlee on Elm Creek; a Saw mill on Mud Creek in 1844 by Ezra Amadon, and by him rebuilt in 1873; a sawmill on Elm Creek, known as the "Snow Mill" built by Solomon and Zachariah Lathrop, has been rebuilt and is now owned by C. A. Snow and used as a saw and feed mill, and a turning lathe. The building is 40 by 20 feet. In 1824 Moses Parker built a saw mill on Clear Creek, which has been abandoned. Sampson Crooker and Culver Crumb built a grist and saw Mill on Clear Creek in 1825 which is still in use. Harold Webster erected a Wool Carding and cloth dressing mill on Clear Creek in 1828. Ichabod Tuttle built a saw mill on Elm Creek in 1848 which was operated about twenty years. A steam saw mill was built on lot 30 about 1840, but was burned in 1868. Ephraim Fairbanks erected a steam mill on the same site, which is now owned by John Seager. A wool carding and cloth dressing mill was built on Elm Creek in 1826 by Edward Lumley. In 1831 it was purchased by Calvin Hill, and continued in operation until 1853.
Childs & McDowell established a brick yard near Clear Creek in 1828, and the business was continued by James Hammond and David Pendleton.
In the vicinity of Rutledge, at an early day a distillery was erected by Brown & Wyllys, and afterwards another by Sturdevent & Holbrook; but both have long since been discontinued.
In 1844, Day & Beals built a tannery at Rutledge; and asheries were early built at or near Rutledge by Camp & Holbrook, Harlow Beach, Henry Day, Jared C. McGlashen, Aldrich & Strong. An Ashery was built on Elm Creek, in 1844, which was worked but a few years.