The town of Allegany was formed from Great Valley on April 18, 1831. It was originally called Burton, and its name was changed to Allegany on March 28, 1851. Humphrey was taken off in 1836. It lies on the south border of the county, and includes part of the Allegany Indian Reservation.
There are 3 streams, Four Mile, Five Mile and Mill Creeks, which are tributaries of the Allegany River. Much of the town was covered by lumber in 1860, and lumbering was an important industry. Allegany, (p.v.) is located upon Allegany River, and in 1862 contained a tannery, door factory, and blind factory. It had 3 churches and 70 houses, and was a station on the NY and Erie R.R. A college, run by the Franciscans was located near the village. Five Mile Run is a p.o. that was first settled by Ebenezer Reed from Connecticut, who located near the mouth of Five Mile Creek in 1820. Other early settlers include: Andrew Allen, Hiram Wood, James Strong, Isaac Eggleston, and Amos and David Orton, who settled along the creek in 1821.
The first child born was Nathan Reed on 2 Oct, 1820. William B. Fox and Sally Strong were the first couple to marry, in 1825. The first deaths were to children of Isaac Eggleston in 1823.
Leonard Cronkhite taught the first school, in a house of James Strong's in the winter of 1825-1826. The first innkeeper was Ebenezer Reed in 1820; and the first storekeeper was Aaron Wheeler, in 1833. The first sawmill was owned by Reuben Lamberton, on 5 Mile Creek, in 1826.
The first religion services, of the Baptist Faith, were held at the house of James Strong, by Elder Benjamin Cole, in 1823. The first church (M.E.) was formed in 1829.
|Town Historian||Town Clerk|
2986 N Nine Mile Rd.
Allegany, New York 14706
Phone (716) 373-2072
|Deryle L. Pinney
52 W. Main St.
Allegany, NY 14706
(716)373-0120 Extension 5 (B)
|Information from the May 2018 Cattaraugus County Directory|
The following people are researching surnames associated with this town.
If you would like your name added to this list just drop us an email.
Confirmed March 2019
Oct 23, 2015 - Bounced or Unanswered - may be removed after Jan, 2016
|Five MileCemetery||Five Mile Rd, Allegany||Nancy Vreeland, 4165 Five Mile Rd.,Allegany,NY,14706|
|Allegany Cemetery||Maple Ave, Allegany|| Guthrie, Stephanie (716) 379-8081 or (716) 790-0048
|Hall Cemetery||River Road||
|St. Bonaventure Cemetery||East Main St, Allegany||Bernard Vossler PO Box 43 St. Bonaventure NY 14778|
Thanks to Margaret Parker for the information about the current curators!