- May 5th, 2019 —Updated contact information on the Allegany Protestant Cemetery.
- May 5th, 2019 — Finished updating all the Town, Village, and City Clerks and Historians with information from the April 2019 County Directory. Took this opportunity to more or less standardize to the Town Pages to facilitate future updates and maintenance and to bring them into compliance with current HTML5 standards. While I was at it, I verified all the email contacts that were on those pages by sending each one an email. Many bounced, some never responded. Those that did responde will have a green "ball" after the link and hovering your mouse over the link will give you the verification date.
- April 23rd 2019 — The April 1, 2019 version of the Cattaragus County Directory of Officials has been upload and can be downloaded as a PDF file.
- March 24th 2019 — If your email address appears anywhere on our web site as a method of contacting you as a contributor, or as a researcher of a surname, double check that it is a valid email address. We have started the process of going through each town page, checking that the Town Official contact information is up to date. Also checking links and email addresses of researchers. Many are no longer working. Old "Compuserve" , "Prodigy" and "Adelphia" email address. Verification emails are being sent to each address. Those that don't answer orl bounce will be removed. Email addresses associate with a person named as a contributor that aren't valid will the the email function removed, but their name will remain with the page in recognition of their contribution.
- March 17th 2019 ☘ — Updated Town Clerk contact for the Town of Leon based on 2018 Cattaraugus Directory
- March 13th 2019 — Added seventh grade photos from St. Mary's for 1954 and 1962 to the Town of Olean schools.
- March 11th 2019 — Upgraded the WWI Diary of Cpl Allen to HTML5 added some links. Fixed some bad links and displays.
- March 2nd 2019 —Corrected a bad location for 1894 Olean Schools Four and Five.
- February 12th, 2019 — Fixed broken links to Cattaraugus Republican Newspaper, and Old Postcards
- January 12th, 2019While fixing a minor formatting error on an Olean Schools page I discovered that almost all of the class photos and images were missing as well as a couple of actual web pages. Apparently they have been missing for several months. I was able to restore from an archived backup.
- December 23rd, 2018Added some background history to the Ashford Henrietta Cemetery. Click Additional Notes in the menu
- October 18th, 2018 - Overhauled the Randolph postcard collections for better readability. Deleted reduntant files, fixed broken links, brought HTML up to current standards.
- October 17th, 2018 - Added a postcard and reformated entire Salamanca postcard collection for better readability
- July 14th, 2018 - The Rootsweb Mailing list buttons on the home page are now functional.
- June 23rd, 2018 - Added a newspaper wedding clipping for the Abell-Woodard marriage. Link to it is found in the Abel entry in the Allegany Protestant Cemtery.
- June 5th, 2018 - Found errors in Leon Hollow Cemetery that was resulting in links not being found. Corrected same.
- June 4th, 2018 - Dayton's Cottage Cemetery; Myrna Moss added information for several recent burials.
- May 21st, 2018 - Corrected information for the Cottage Cemetery in South Dayton. Thanks Elizabeth Love for the corrections. While I was at it, reformatted the Cottage Cemetery pages to load faster and comply with current standars.
- May 7th, 2018 - Updated the list of Town And City Historians, removed several email addresses that were bouncing. If you encounter a link that doesn't work, or an email address that bounces, please let ust know.
- April 28, 2018 - Many other counties have moved from Ancestry/Rootsweb. We updated our page with links to our Neighboring Counties in both NY and PA. Updated Town Officials on the Hinsdale page. Other minor changes throughout the site, mostly reformatting.
- March 7, 2018 - Ancestry/Rootsweb UPDATE - The Cattaraugus Mailing list has been activated by Rootsweb. As far as this web site is concerned, I think the move to this server is going to be permanent. Much easier to maintain, and we don't have to contend with those Ancestry banner ads that screwed up the formatting of pages. Changes to an email address forced me to get into the 1855 NYS Census index pages. Those pages hadn't been modified since they were uploaded in June of 2000. Much of the underlying HTML code was obsolete and the readability, while as good for that time period, left a lot to be desired. So, the entire 1855 NYS Index was reformatted into the current HTML standards, and made much more readable as well as maintainable. This was just a reformatting, no changes were made to the data. The list of Cattaraugus County Officials (selected pages) has been updated, it was revised in January of this year.
- March 1, 2018 - I have been on a mission to find
and fix broken links and the work continues. Also, if you have your
email address on our site as a researcher please check to see if it is
up to date. Found many "compuserve", "prodigy",
"adelphia". "buffnet" and other defunct email addresses.
With regard to the Ancestry/Rootsweb outage, not much has changed since Dec 22, 2017. There last statement (January) stated that they were doing software upgrades and it would be months before they were back on line. That was what moved me to relocate our website to a private server. The NY State Coordinator for GenWeb has changed the links on the NYGenWeb site to point to archived versions of many sites, so some information is still available for other counties.
- February 11, 2018 - Fixed display errors and reformatted the Early Settlers of Randolph to html5 standards.
- January 25, 2018 - Fixed display errors and reformatted the 1800 Wards in Western NY to html5 standards.
- January 22, 2018 - Verified links and reformatted the Pioneer Links page. Added new information in the Perrigo Family Page, reformatted to html5 standards.
- January 15, 2018 - Repaired links in town of Randolph Unknown Photos, reformatted to html5 standards.
- January 11, 2018 - American Indian Links Page - fixed bad link to Horseshoe Cemetery (pointed to an outdated page) added link to National Archives Native Americans page, added Seneca Clerk info, reformated all to html5 standards.
- January 6, 2018 - The Cattaraugus County GenWeb site is up and running, I think everything successfully uploaded. I fixed links, and did some general housecleaning and I think we are pretty well set. If you spot anything that doesn't work, drop me a line.
- Dec 23, 2017 - Today, Ancestry.com took down all of RootsWeb.
The Reason given was a security issue and they indicated that it would
be a few weeks before they put RootsWeb back on line. Tony Blackham,
Information Security Officer at Ancestry, stated in his blog
"We are doing a deep analysis of RootsWeb, its design and how we might
be able to help the community enhance the site and its
services.". Because of the uncertainty of the situation, down time and
other issues I have elected to move the Cattaraugus Web Site to a new
nycattar.org at least temporarily, possibly
permanently. There are pros and cons to the new domain. Con: First
access seems to take longer than I am used to, but it is fast after
that. Pro: Gone are those annoying banners at the
top of every page. Other things work better, links are
easier to check.
The NYGenWeb site has been off Roots Web for some time, as are many of the other counties in New York. I guess what I am saying is I will need a compelling reason to go back to RootsWeb. USGenWeb and NYGenWeb are on their own servers and still up and running.
- Dec 20, 2017 - Fixed broken links and reformated several pages in the newspaper section to make them easier to read and navigate.
- Dec 7, 2017 - Added Cattaraugus County Directory to the County Resources, updated Town of Allegany Page and verified links.
- June 10, 2017 - Identified broken links on the Military Page. Added a link to photos of WNY Vietnam KIAs.
- May 13, 2017 - Many thanks to Danny Eastman who email us and set a PDF scan of the 1937 Program for the Ellicottville Centennial. His father, Leland Eastman had saved the original in his scrapbook. It took a while, but I managed to get it transcribed so that if you search and family name on our site and it is contained in the Centennial Program, it will come up on your search. I tried my best to keep the formatting and fonts as much like the original as possible. It's amazing how fastidious they were in 1937 to punctuation. A lost art today I fear. Here is a link to the Centennial Program. There is also a link to it from the Ellicottville Town page.
- April 26, 2017 - The The Cattaraugus Republican
is complete, All 16 pages (each page 1/2 of the actual newspaper page)
have been uploaded, Lots of names, places and stories. Hope you find one
of your ancestors "in the news." Link:
Cattaraugus Republican Sept 20 1901 (note: off site however, with links back to here)
- April 2, 2107 - Cattaraugus Republican - Two
pages added today, The second half of page 3 (3b) and the first half of
page 4 (4a) are on line. Page 4 contains many surnames"personals"
- March 30, 2017 - Cattaraugus Republican - Page
two (2b) is complete. First three columns of page three (3a) are online.
Like the rest of the pages, these pages have numerous surnames of
people living in Cattaraugus County. However,
a lot of the paper was devoted to the assassination of
President McKinley. While it doesn't add much genealogical value it does
provide some interesting reading and insight into the thoughts of the
people in 1901. One interesting thing
I found was that there was suspicion the bullet had been
poisoned to assure his death, however a few days after the publication
of this newspaper toxicology disproved that theory. There also some
interesting advertisements which I have
- March 27, 2017 - Cattaraugus Republican - Third page (actually, page 2a) has been added. Improved navigation links menu has been added to all pages.
- March 21, 2017 - Added another page, two pages on
line each containing three of the six columns that comprise one page.
Published Sept 20 1901 it contains many surnames and interesting, many
references to McKinley's assassination and
the funeral train.
- March 20, 2017 - Starting a transcription
project. A 1901 newspaper, The Cattaraugus Republican is being
transcribed. It is a work in progress and very time consuming and it is
far from complete (only one page so far). However as pages
are transcribed we will add them to the site.
- February 22, 2017 back in the saddle after hip surgury. Updated DOD for Stanly Bennett in the Allegany Cemetery. Added 2016 burials to Rutledge Cemetery
along with additional information about those
individuals, such as survivors, spouses, places of birth, etc.. This all
courtesy of Claudia Patterson.
- April 1st 2016 - Thanks to emails from the daughters of the late Becky (Cygan) Cameron, we were able to correct the spelling of her name in the School 10 Grade 6 photo, and identify her in the School 1 grade 2 photo.
- April 3rd 2016 - Reformatted the East Randolph (Maple Hill) cemetery from "frames" to "page" based HTML to eliminate the display problems resulting from the Ancestry.com heaqers.
- February 4th 2016 - Corrected an entry on the Thomas Corners Cemetery (also known as Bond Cemetery) that was brought to my attention by researcher Pamela Johnson.
- January 2016 - Spend much of the month verifying and correcting external web site and email links. Reformatted many pages.
- December 12th, 2015 -1850 Census pages for the Town of Lyndon:
Some of these pages were not reachable from the index. Added navigation
to the bottom of each page so now it is possible to browse page-to-page
without going back
to the Index page. Reformated the pages to make them
more readable, and to conform to modern HTML standards. [ 1850 Lyndon Index ]. The "Historic Path of Cattaraugus County"
web site requested that we link to them. It is a very well done and interesting site. A link was added on the Towns and County History page.
- December 3rd, 2015 - Added much information and reformatted the Carnahan Family Cemetery (Elko). Also added navigation to the page and added it to the list of Cemeteries in Coldspring.
- November 30th, 2015 - Completed link checking on the Town of Leon. Added four cemetery links to the page.
- November 17th, 2015 - Continuing to check links on pages, working on town pages in alphabetical order, just finished Hinsdale. Some pages had updates to names of Historians, and some additional content.
Added the Obituary of Lila Cooper, past historian and well known teacher in Hinsdale.
- October 7th, 2015: The 1879 History of Cattaraugus
book is now complete. Thanks to the transcription and proof reading
efforts of my wife, Jacqueline, the final piece is in place, the town of
OTTO. Hope you find an ancestor or two there.
- September 24th, 2015: 1879 History of East Otto has been transcribed!!! I finally located a copy of Evert's 1879 History of Cattaraugus County.
It has bothered me for some time the the chapters on
East Otto and Otto were missing from this web site. I
undertook to transcribe the chapter on East Otto first. (Note to self,
don't try and proof read a subject you find interesting). After
transcribing the chapter I noticed that there
were many broken links and other problems with the
current representation on the site so decided to clean up the entire
sub-section. It took a couple of weeks but it is now there for your
pleasure and it now contains East Otto.
Additionally work continues on fixing broken links in
older "pre-ancestry.com" web pages. Don't know how soon I will get to
the Otto page, but it is on the agenda.
- August 31st, 2015: There were two sites that do
not reside on the Rootsweb site because the Ancestry "banner" interferes
with their display frames. The search engine was not finding them
because they were off site. That has been corrected
which added 94 pages of information to the search
- August 27th, 2015: Corrected Town Historian on for the town of Ashford. Verified researchers email address. Updated the link to ISTG on the "other helpful starters" page, removed broken link to "JustGeneology".
- August 26th, 2015: Fixed several old links so they would be picked up by the search engine. Fixed broken links on the Cemetery page, corrected and reformated Franklinvill Death Records page to improve readability. Search Engine is averaging about 420 searches a month since it was installed.
- August 4th, 2015 - Spent the last several days
fixing invalid (brocken) links, reformatting old pages to improve
readability in several pages including Little Valley, Portville, Lime
Lake, Wolf Run, Ashford, Coldspring, Dayton, Early
Pioneers, and Otto/East Otto.
- Fourth of July 2015 Fixed several broken links
which were preventing access to some pages. Improved format and
navigation on all the pages in the Town of Connewango.
- 06/24/2015 - Our new search engine gives me a
report of all "off site" and broken links. Many of the links which it
thinks are off site and does not index are sites that use the old
rootsweb.com url. I have been in the process of going
through the site and correcting those old links. While
they do actually work (ancestry.com redirects them) the search engine
doesn't index them and they wouldn't be included in any searches of the
site. There are a LOT of them that were
coded that way prior to 2004 when we went to "relative"
addresses. So...while it may not seem like much is going on, I am busy
working in the background getting more of the pages included when you do
a site search.
- 06/03/2015 - Corrected Beardslee and Ford entries on the Maple Cemetery in Mansfield.
- 05/30/2015 - Added two new class photos to the Olean page,
Second Grade in School 1 (1950), and Sixth Grade at School 10 (1954). I
also had to remove the link to some Olean postcard images, the
link is broken and just took you to Blumenthals web
hosting. Anyone know where that link moved?
- 05/21/2015 - Fixed link to LDS search in 1892 state census pages.
- 05/20/2015 - Added four more graves to the Sunset Hill cemetery in Ellicottville from information provided by Charlotte Watkins.
- 05/18/2015 - Replaced the broken AOL link to the 154th Hardtack Regiment Web Page(Civil War) with the updated link . Added a link to CAMP on the home page.
- 05/17/2015 - With the reports the new search
engine provides, we found that at least 119 pages were excluded from
search engine. These older pages had their links hard coded to the old
RootsWeb address before Ancestry.com took over.
The search engine rejected them as "off site". Spend the
weekend editing those links to "relative" links which now are included
in the search. It was a real PIA job, but it needed to be done. Many of
the pages were census indexes and other
documents with LOTS of names. If a previous search
yielded no results, I suggest you try it now, it just might find a
result that was previously hidden from the search engine.
- 05/15/2015 - Fellow researcher, Diana Huber, found a problem with our listing of the Allegany
Protestant cemetery. It seems that the listing for
the names beginning with "G" were only about half there. After a little
research, I was able to contact one of the original trasnscribers,
Margaret Parker, and she was able to send
me copies of the original documents. My wife, Jackie,
transcribed them and I added them to the web page. Thanks everyone for
- 05/14/2015 -FINALLY - Installed FreeFind Search
engine to replace the defunct PICO search we had used for years. Its web
crawler scanned though our site and indexed 906 pages. Let me know of
any problems or what you think of it. Right
now we have the "free" version which includes some
advertisements, however, if this turns out to be well accepted I may
cough up the money for the commercial version.
- 04/28/2015 Fixed broken link to the Franktown Cemetery in Ashford reported by John Pfeffer, Thanks.
- 04/24/15 - Added information about the Studley family to the Ashford Town page under Family Lore. Updated the Bates and Brain(e) family information in the Ashford
Hollow cemetery Made corrections to Elizabeth M. Irish in the Mount Hope cemetery in Ashford. Updated information on Frances Brown in Allegany Protestant Cemetery. Also
updated was the address for the NY office of the National Archives.on the Census and Vital
- 04/23/2015 Updated Town Historian contact information for Great Valley.
- 04/22/2015 Added a link to the New York Heritage's collection of Olean's Sand Pumping Magazines on the Town of Olean Page.
- 04/04/2015 - Back in 2012, Nathan Towne contributed an index to the Ward and Hinckley Cash Book/Ledger for the hamlet of Versailles in the town of Perrysburg. It was uploaded to the web site but unfortunately, there were no links to it. I can now be found on the Town of Perrysburg page.
- 04/03/2015 - PICO no longer supports their search engine. We are currently evaluating several other free search engines.
- 04/02/2015 - After a couple of years recovering from four surgeries I am now back in the saddle and reviewing the entire web site and emails that came in while I was unable to give them the attention they deserved. I will try my best to get this site current again. Thanks for your patience.