History of New Albion
New Albion was formed from Little Valley, February 23, 1830. It is an interior town, n.w. of the center of the county. Its surface is a hilly upland. It is drained by streams flowing into Cattaraugus Creek on the north and the Allegheny on the south.
New Albion is a little south of the center and contained 20 dwellings in 1865.
Cattaraugus in the north part, contains a steam flouring mill and 50 dwellings. It is an important station upon the New York and Erie Rail Road. The land for the village was deeded to them, by Joseph Plumb, on the condition that no intoxicating liquors should be sold there.
The first settlement was on the s.w. corner of Lot 57, by Matthew Dimmick. Other settlers included: David Hammond, Jr- located on Lot 33, and Jonathan Kinnecutt on Lot 18, in 1818; A. Smith Waterman on Lot 25, and James Godard on Lot 9, at about the same time. Benjamin Chamberlain, was on Lot 2, and David Hill and John Kinnecutt on Lot 18, in Dec. 1820. Robert and Timothy Gay later located on Lot 33.
The first birth was a child to Matthew Dimmick, in Dec 1818. Captain Rosencrantz, an Indian trader, froze to death in the town in the winter of 1810, while on his way from the mouth of Cattaraugus Creek to Olean.
The first inn was kept by James Godard, on Lot 9, in 1819, and the first store by Erastus Hooth, in 1833, at the center. Matthew Nealy built the first sawmill, on a south branch of Cattaraugus Creek, and Charles Sibley the first gristmill, on Lot 49, in 1836.