Town of Humphrey - 1836
The Town of Humphrey, was named after Charles Humphrey, from Tompkins County, who was Speaker of the Assembly, at the time it was formed. It was formed from Burton, now called Allegany, May 12, 1836. It is an interior town, lying southeast of the center of the county. Its surface is a broken and hilly upland. The hills are 600 feet above the R.R. at Olean. Great Valley, Five Mile, Wright and Sugar Town Creeks are the main streams
Humphrey Center is a hamlet, and Humphrey and Sugar Town are post offices.
Russell Chapell was its first settler. In 1824 Russell Chapell opened a hotel, tavern, and livery stable at the bottom of Chapel Hill. The livery stable still stands today. Other Early settlers were Alonzo Berry, Abijah Rowley, Nathan Howe, Thomas Scott, and Stephen S Cole. The first religious association was formed in 1834.
The first school was taught by John Howe, at Sugar Town, in 1820. John later went out to serve Congress from the state of Pennsylvania. Russell Chappell kept the first inn, in 1824. Averill Lawyer set up the first store in 1848, in Humphrey Center . A sawmill was built by Foster Salisbury on Wright Creek.