The Town of Freedom, was formed from Ischua, on April 13, 1820. A part of Yorkshire was taken off in 1844. It is the N.E corner town of the county. Its surface is a rolling or moderately hilly upland. Clear Creek and the south branch of Cattaraugus Creek are the principal streams. Beaver Lake is in the south part, Fish Lake, in the east, and Scum and Laws Lakes are small ponds in the center. There are several quarries of good building stone found in different parts of town. Sandusky, in the north, is on Clear Creek. In 1860, it contained 2 churches, a gristmill, and 2 sawmills. Its population was 175.
Elton near the s.w. corner, contained a church and 14 dwellings.
The first settlements were made in 1811, by Stanley Warren, Ezekial Reynolds, from New Hampshire, and Earl Lawyer, Rufus Metcalf and Enoch Howlett from Vermont.
The first child born was Rufus Metcalf, Jr on December 24, 1812; the first death was Peter Davis, December 17, 1816.
The first couples to be married were Elihu Daggart and Sally McKee, and Sylvester Davis and Miss Daggart in 1817.
The first school was taught by Jemina Clark in 1816. In 1824, the first inn was opened, by Enoch Howlett. He also opened the first store, in 1824 and the first sawmill in 1821, on Clear Creek. The first gristmill was erected on Clear Creek, in 1822 by Dr. Elihu Crittenden.
Ezra Brewster Strong b. 1798 in Thetford VT
and his wife, Eleanor Lane moved to Elton about 1832 - the
daughter of Mathias Lane. She is buried
in Siloam cemetery.
Photo courtesty Lindsey Beckwith
Lorna J. Spencer
1931 Cheeseman Hill Rd
Delevan, NY 14042
Mindy Holland Hours: Mon. & Fri. 9 AM-1 PM, Thurs. 6-8 PM
Sat. 9 AM-noon
1244 Eagle St.
Arcade, NY 14009
492-0961 ext. 1 (B) 353-6584 (H)
From Cattaraugus County Directory, dated April 1, 2019
Note: This cemetery
contains two sections. A Welch Yard, and an English Yard. Welch Yard - Marcia
Davis, 632 Moore Road, Freedom, NY, 14065 English Yard - Doris Carolus 406 Freedom Road, Freedom, NY