1. JOHN PERRIGO was born in Vermont, and died Aft. 1840. He married ELIZA MOFFETT, maiden name: MOFFETT. She also was born in Vermont
The names John Perrigo and Eliza Moffett appear on Lyman Perrigo's Death Certificate which was filled out by his granddaughter. She listed Lyman's parents as John Perrigo and Eliza Moffet. John Perrigo is my "Brick Wall". I can find little information about him.
I recently contacted some descendants of an Perrigo a contemporary of Lyman Perrigo.They remember their parents talking about my mother and my 1st cousin Robert Perrigo and had information about us, listing us as cousins. My 1st cousin, Robert Perrigo,remembers visiting them in Salamanca NY during the 1940's and being told they were cousins However, neither of us are able to put together how it is that we are related. Now, here comes the interesting part.
About the time (1855) that my Lyman was a young man setting out on his own, Perrigo was living, along with some Perrigo siblings with John and Eliza Crop of Little Valley. Comparing notes with 's descendants, one of them remembers her Grandfather saying that 's father was nicknamed "The Preacher". He worked ing log rafts down the Allegany River to Pittsburg. One trip, he left and wasn't heard from since.
That lets the mind jump to a few hypotheticals. Suppose Lyman's father, "The Preacher" Perrigo, disappeared leaving Eliza his wife and children behind. Could Eliza have married John Crop, the John and Eliza Crop that were providing a home for and his siblings in 1855? Lyman's granddaughter may have known John Crop only as "Grandfather John" and mistakenly put his name down on the death certificate as John Perrigo. - Just a hypothetical...
If we allow that Bess Perrigo put the right name on the death certificate, then we are looking for a John Perrigo who is supposed to have at one time resided in Lockport, Niagara County (there were a bunch of Perrigos living there). However, the 1850 Census for Little Valley shows Lyman, , and Lucinda living with John and Eliza Crop. On the same page (191) there is a Sally M Perrigo living with the George Drake Family. The 1855 New York State Census has living in Bucktooth (Salamanca) and Lyman living in Allegany.
I can only find one John Perrigo in the area and he appears in the 1840 census. That he is the father of Lyman and Perrigo is at this point, just an undocumented assumption. That Lyman and were brothers is also an undocumented assumption, though it is pretty sure they were related. The descendants of Lyman Perrigo and Perrigo is all supported by documentation. That they were related is fact, that they were brothers is an assumption. A synopsis of the census data appears below
|John Perrigo 1840 Census - Sardinia, Erie County
||Under 5 (1)
||5-10 (2)||10-25 (1)|
|Lyman age 8
|| age 12
||Sally age 2
||Lucinda + a sister?||Unknown|
|(Other ages missing on page)
Census: 1840, , Sardinea, Erie County (mayor may not be the correct John Perrigo)
Children of John Perrigo and ELIZA MOFFETT are:
Notes for SALLY M PERRIGO
Sally may or may not be related, but she appears on the 1850 Little Valley Census (Pg 191) living with George Drake. Lyman, and Lucinda are living with John & Eliza Crop -I am making an assumption that for some reason the family had been split up to live with friends
2. ANDREW PERIGO (JOHN1 PERRIGO )was born Jul 13, 1815and died Bet. 1865 - 18753. He married CALISTA LYONS
Mar 18, 1856. She was born Abt. 1827 in Wayne County, NY, date of death is unknown, burial is said to be in the Killbuck Cemetery.
.(Note change in spelling of surname)
Residence: 1850, Little Valley, Cattaraugus Co, NY5
Residence: Jun 1875, Allegany, NY6
Marriage: Mar 18, 1856
Children of Children of ANDREW PERIGO and CALISTA LYONSare
3. LYMAN C PERRIGO (JOHN, )was born Sep 20, 1832 in Franklinville, NY8, and died Apr 14, 1910 in Allegany,Cattaraugus,New York9. He married MARY ANN BESSEY Jul 04, 1853, daughter of FREDERICK BESSEY and MARIAH STEDMAN. She was born Sep 05, 1834 in Cortland Co, NY10, and died May 23, 1914 in Allegany,Cattaraugus,New York11.
|Perrigo Family of Allegany|
Historical Gazetteer and Biographical Memorial of Cattaraugus Co. NY, pub 1893
History of the Town of Allegany Chapter XVIII (18) Page 440:
PERRIGO, a native of Franklinville, was born Sept. 20, 1832, and
married, July 4, 1853, Mary Ann, only child and daughter of Frederick
and Maria M. (STEDMAN) BESSEY, who bore him two children --Fred C., born
Feb. 2, 1856, married Flora, daughter of Thomas and Eliza RAISH, of
Allegany Oct. 26, 1885, has two children, Raymond N. and Clarence R.,
and resides on the homestead; and Estella M., born May 20, 1859, married
Edwin E. CHASE, Nov. 6, 1877, and had one child, Mortimer D. Frederick
BESSEY was born in Vermont, Feb. 6, 1808; his wife was also born there
May 15, 1813; they were married Sept. 29, 1833. They came to Allegany in
1845. He died here March 30, 1875. His widow survives him and resides
with her daughter, Mary Ann PERRIGO, who was born Sept. 5, 1834.
|1880 Township of Allegany, Catt. Co.
Page 23 -Dwelling 6
|Note: Two doors down from this family was HIRAM CHASE, age 56, with wife AMELIA, age 55, and several adult children, who for some reason are enumerated under their initials: M. - 22, JJ, age 20, son, and JESSE, age 17, son. Thought they could be connected with Edmon Chase|
MRS MARY PERRIGO DIES AT ALLEGANY — Had Lived There 69 Years Funeral will be held tomorrow.
(Special to The Olean Times)
Allegany, May 25 —Mary Ann Perrigo, widow of the late Lyman C. Perrigo, died at 3 o'clock Saturday afternoon at the home of her son, F. C. Perrigo. Death was due to complications of diseases incident to old age.
Mrs Perrigo was born in Vermont in 1834. She had made her home in Allegany for the past 69 years.
She is survived by one son, Fred C. Perrigo, and five grandchildren. The funeral services will be held at 1 o'clock from the family home and at 2 o'clock from the Episcopal church. Interment will be made in the Protestant cemetery here.
Children of Children of LYMAN PERRIGO and MARY BESSEYare
|The grave of Lyman Perrigo lies next to his wife in her family's plot in the Allegany Protestant Cemetery in Allegany, Cattaraugus County,New York|
4. EDGAR D PERRIGO(ANDREW PERIGO John Perrigo) was born Feb 02, 1860, and died Dec 31, 1950 in Salamanca, NY. He married (1) LIZZIE DOYLE. She died 1896. He married (2) MAUDE MOFFETT 1898, daughter of Unknown MOFFETT. She was born Jan 03, 188019,and died Feb 1974.
Children of Edgar Perrigo And Lizzie Doyle are:
Children of of Edgar Perrigo and Maude Moffett are:
5. FREDERICK CLARK PERRIGO (LYMAN C ., JOHN, ELIJAHA)27 was born Feb 02, 1856 in Cattaraugus, Co, NY, and died May 12, 1920 in Higgins Memorial Hospital, Olean, NY28. He married FLORA CLORINDA RAISH29 Oct 26, 1885 in Geneseo, Livinston Co, NY30, daughter of THOMAS RAISH and ELIZA HALL. She was born Jan 16, 1867 in Allegany, NY/Allegany, Cattaraugus Co., NY, and died Aug 06, 1946 in Olean, NY31.
At age 14, Fred Perrigo was living with Fred Bessey and working on the farm, his father, Lyman was living with Seth Allen and working in the back woods - June 1870 Census pages 47,49,50,51
At age 19, Fred was living with his maternal Grandmother, Mariah Bessey Æ 59 (1875 NYS Census)
The family homestead was on the North Nine Mile road in Allegany, now Route 417 (old rte 17). The homestead still stands east of and adjacent to the location of the Allegany Drive-In.
Children of Children of FREDERICK PERRIGO and FLORA RAISHare
6. ESTELLA M3 PERRIGO (LYMAN C2, JOHN1)was born May 20, 1860 in Allegany, Cattaraugus Co, NY37, and died Nov 26, 1885 in Allegany,Cattaraugus,New York. She married EDMUN E CHASE Nov 06, 1877. He was born Abt. 1858 in New York, and died Unknown.
Children of Children of ESTELLA PERRIGO and EDMUN CHASEare
7. CLAUDE PERRIGO (EDGAR D3, ANDREW2 PERIGO, JOHN1 PERRIGO)was born May 28, 1899 in Humphrey, NY42, and died Jun 1987. He married (1) RUTH MCCOY. She was born 1898, and died 1940. He married (2) FLORENCE FOX.
Children of Children of CLAUDE PERRIGO and RUTH MCCOY are
8. MILFORD4 PERRIGO (EDGAR D, ANDREW PERIGO, JOHN PERRIGO)was born Oct 21, 1909 in Pennsylvania44, and died May 18, 1983 in Fort Myers, Lee, FL. He married MONICA SCHUM45. She was born Mar 03, 1914 in Attica, New York46, and died Oct 12, 2000 in Manasas City, VA.
Child of is MILFORD PERRIGO and MONICA SCHUM is:
9. CLARENCE RAISH PERRIGO (FREDERICK CLARK, LYMAN C, JOHN)was born Mar 01, 189049, and died May 28, 1958 in Gowanda49. He married FAITH L BILLINGS Dec 27, 1919, daughter of EDWIN BILLINGS and IDA MCCREADY. She was born Nov 13, 1892, and died Jul 1987 in Gowanda NY50.
From a conversation with his son,Robert Perrigo at Cuba Lake, July 1999:
Clarence was a "roustabout" and worked in the Oil Fields. When the oil business in the Olean area dried up, Clarence traveled to the oil fields in Cisco Texas. Returned to NY to marry Faith Billings, then they both returned to Texas, and Oklahoma during the oil boom years. Robert Perrigo, his son, was conceived in Oklahoma, but Faith said "I will not bear a child in Oklahoma, I will have my child in Olean" and so Clarence and Faith returned to Olean, where Bob was born at the Olean General Hospital. Clarence took advantage of the business skills he had learned at Westbrook Academy in Olean, and took a job in Gowanda as Village Clerk, a job he held for the rest of his working life.
Children ofCLARENCE PERRIGO and FAITH BILLINGS are
10. BESSIE MARIE PERRIGO (FREDERICK CLARK, LYMAN C, JOHN)was born Feb 11, 1895 in Allegany, NY54, and died Feb 1959 in Hollywood, Fla. She married RAY AUSTIN BLACKMAN. He was born May 06, 1895 in Coudersport, Pa55, and died Jan 1971 in Hollywood, Florida56.
Bess taugh school at an old school house at the corner of Route 446 and Cuba Lake Road. She boarded at a house just to the west which sets on a small rise. - Told to me by Mable (Perrigo) Allen, and confirmed with Robert Perrigo.
Child ofBESSIE PERRIGO and RAY BLACKMAN is
11. MABLE GRACE PERRIGO (FREDERICK CLARK, LYMAN C, JOHN)was born Jan 13, 1905 in Allegany,Cattaraugus,New York, and died Aug 01, 1994 in Olean,NY. She married WILFRED HENRY ALLEN Feb 18, 1923 in Allegany,Cattaraugus,New York, son of ELMER ALLEN and SOPHIA MERKT. He was born Oct 26, 1896 in Allegany,Cattaraugus,New York, and died Dec 18, 1964 in Olean,NY.
Children ofMABLE PERRIGO and WILFRED ALLEN are
12. MORTIMER D CHASE (ESTELLA M PERRIGO, LYMAN C, JOHN) was born Bef. Jun 01, 1879 in New York, and died 1932. He married EVA H Abt. 1908. She was born 1889 in Pennsylvania60, and died 1973.
Child ofMORTIMER CHASE and EVA is